David Stone MBE
David started Cycling when he was just eight years old and joined the British Para-Cycling Team in 1995.
- Road: T1-2 Road Race / T1-2 Time Trial
- Home Town:
- Rawdon, West Yorkshire
- Date Of Birth:
- 30th April 1981
- Games Attended:
- London 12, Beijing 08, Sydney 00
He made his international debut in 1996 at the World Championships in Nottingham, UK.
David took a break from the team in 2000 but whilst studying for a Social Work degree he began Cycling again and returned to the team in 2004. The next year, David became double European Champion in the Road Race and the Time Trial.
A double Paralympic gold medallist at the 2008 Beijing Paralympic Games, David received an MBE to honour his achievements. In 2010 he was also recognised by his hometown, Leeds, as Sportsman of the Year.
At his third Games, David took bronze in his first event, the T1-2 Time Trial.
In his second event, the T1-2 Road Race, Stone broke free from the competition on the final lap of the race to take gold with a seven second margin.
"It was the best race of my life. It makes the win better as it wasn't easy."David Stone
David’s sporting hero is Jimmy White and outside cycling he enjoys Snooker and gardening, whilst he has also travelled extensively in Europe and Asia.
David has cerebral palsy.
- Major Results
- 2012 London Paralympic Games
T1-2 Road Race: gold
T1-2 Time Trial: bronze
- 2008 Beijing Paralympic Games
CP1/CP2 Time Trial: gold
CP1/CP3 Road Race: gold
- 2000 Sydney Paralympic Games
- CP3 Road Race and CP3 Time Trial: 7th
- 2012 UCI Para-Cycling Road World Cup, Segovia, Spain
- T2 Time Trial: gold
- 2011 UCI Para-Cycling Road World Championships, Roskilde, Denmark
T2 Time Trial: silver
T2 Road Race: 4th
- 2010 UCI Para-Cycling Road World Championships, Baie-Comeau, Canada
T2 Road Race: gold
T2 Time Trial: gold
- 2009 UCI Para-Cycling World Championships, Bologna, Italy
- CP2 Time Trial: silver